Next to losing weight, growing their hair is often the second priority brides have once they become engaged. Although there are plenty of cute short hairstyles that look great with a wedding gown, many brides feel that they need long hair to look truly feminine on their wedding day.
Top stylists advise that to create a natural up do, your hair needs to be about shoulder length, or just a little longer, but for the loose wavy look that is currently in fashion, straight hair would need to grow down to the shoulder blades.
Five tips for natural long wedding hair
If you have plenty of time between your engagement and the wedding, you can try to grow your hair naturally. Here are five tips on stimulating hair growth in the run up to the wedding.
- 1. Drink plenty of water. If you are dehydrated your hair will be more brittle and liable to breaking. It will also grow fairly slowly.
- 2. Increase circulation. Regular exercise will improve your circulation, allowing more oxygen to your scalp and hair follicles, resulting in better hair growth.
- 3. Get plenty of rest. It may be hard to relax and get the right amount of sleep when you have a wedding to plan, but rest will help you to grow healthy hair.
- 4. Keep your energy levels up. Most brides try to lose weight before the big day but extreme dieting can stop your hair from growing and even lead to hair loss. Eat healthy snacks such as nuts, yoghurt, and cereals.
- 5. Get a head massage. Regular head massages are not only relaxing but can also stimulate circulation in the scalp which promotes hair growth.
Three ways to fake long wedding hair
If you don’t have time to grow your hair, or the temptation to get a hair cut is just too strong after a couple of months, you could look at temporary long hair just for your wedding day. Here are three ways to fake long wedding hair:
Use a fake bun
A bun is a very fashionable wedding hairstyle for modern brides, and a sleek high bun really accentuates the neck and cheekbones. A fake bun resembles a doughnut that a ponytail is passed through the centre of before it is pinned in place. The hair is then wrapped around the bun to cover it up. Even if you have long hair, a fake bun can add volume and a fuller style to wear with a bun wrap or tiara and veil.
Get hair extensions
If you want to wear your hair loose on your wedding day, hair extensions are possibly the best option. Sections of real hair are attached to the roots of your natural hair to create the appearance of long hair. Hair extensions are also the longest lasting form of fake long hair, so you can keep them for your honeymoon as well.
Add a hair piece
Hair pieces are clipped into your own hair and are best used to add volume to fine hair. They can be coloured and curled to match your own hair. Hair pieces are a great way to add a bouncy ponytail, or to increase the volume of your style if you are having a half up do.