You are at last the mother of the bride. This is the day you and your daughter have looked forward to since she was a toddler, trying to walk in your high heels with a shawl over her head, playing 'Here comes the bride.'
Now through the laughter and tears, and the attention to the many details, the most important of which may be helping her choose the perfect wedding gown, you realize you have your own mother of bride dress to shop for.
Dress for pictures
Almost as important as the bridal party, your dress or gown will also be noticed, as well as photographed and documented in the family albums and remembered for years to come. With this in mind, you want to spend some time making just the right choice so that you compliment, (but not match), the bridal party in style, color and formality.
While you want to look your very best on this special day, you also need to be as comfortable as possible. Try to find a dress in a style that you would normally wear. Now is probably not the best time to experiment with fashion.
Consider that you will be moving about quite a bit, whether assisting the bridal party, greeting relatives and friends, or attending to last minute details. Certainly you will be dancing and visiting with guests at the reception. The last thing you need is a dress so ill-fitting or in such an uncomfortable style, that you have to constantly fidget with it to keep it in place.
Since there are many places to find the perfect dress, it is not necessary to limit yourself to a bridal shop. Check out the many online stores to review the latest fashion. You can save a lot of time by looking at styles, colors and prices on the internet, so that when you do go shopping, you will have an idea of what you want, and possibly even where to find the perfect dress, without taking more time than necessary out of your busy days.
You may want to discuss the style and color you'd like with the mother of the groom, also. Again, while you do not have to 'match', nor should you have the exact same color, it would be a nice touch to co-ordinate with her, and certainly you'll all look better for it in the wedding photographs.
Tips to remember as you shop:
- Wait to shop until the bridal party dresses have been chosen.
- Choose a color to compliment the bridesmaids dresses and color scheme of the wedding.
- Discuss color and style with the mother of the groom and try to co-ordinate with her.
- Stay away from white, or even ivory. You do not want to look as though you're in competition with the bride.
- Be sure the dress you decide on is comfortable enough to see you through the day without constant adjustments.
- When you try on the perfect dress, don't just stand in front of the mirror. You won't be standing still all day.
- Walk, bend, stoop, sit, do a little dance if you like, and see how the dress moves (or doesn't) and how comfortable you think it will be for long hours.
- Remember, a style that is age-appropriate is just as important as all the rest of the details that will assist you in making your choice.
Now that you have chosen the perfect style, color and comfortable fit for your dress, you can focus on the leading lady, your beautiful daughter, and be secure in an important supporting role for her on the most memorable day of her life. You know that she will be as proud of you as you
are of her, and you will both cherish the memory of this day for the rest of your lives.